James and Martha Catmull Hobbs
In Alice S. Cardon, comp., This Is Benson, Cache County, Utah, Its History and People(1982), 199 200

James Hobbs, son of William and Ann Owen Hobbs, and Martha Catmull Hobbs,daughter of John Bradley and Susan Arbon Catmull, emigrated from England. James was born in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England. His family, along with his mother, heard the missionaries tell of the restored gospel while in England. They joined the church and began to prepare to come to America. James came to America on the ship "Monarch of the Sea" along with other members of his family, leaving Liverpool April 28, 1864, and arriving in New York June 3, 1864. He crossed the plains driving a team of oxen for Captain Murrick, arriving in the Great Salt Lake Valley on Saturday, October 1, 1864. He lived in Franklin when he first came to Cache valley. While there he tells of many experiences with fighting Indians. Martha also joined the church in England. She was born in Gravely, Cambridgeshire on July 15, 1862. She was also a convert to the church and was a member of the London Conference in 1876. She sang at the LDS Conference in London. She emigrated to America May 25, 1878, on board the"Nevada" along with her sister Sophia and a brother William.

James and Martha were married August 3, 1878, in the Salt Lake Endowment House. They lived in the First Ward in Logan for a time before moving to Benson about 1882. They lived in the home part of which is still standing in the lot that was the farm of Bert Riggs (now Darrell Kunzler's). While living in Benson, 11 children were born to them: James, John,William, Elizabeth, Willie, Agnes, Louella, Samuel (Glen's father), Albert, Eva, and David.

Martha was a member of the first choir at Benson. She served as Second Counselor to the first Primary President. She loved Relief Society very much and served as the first secretary of the Relief Society in Benson. She was the postmistress at Benson for 11 years, from 1882 to 1893.

They moved to the Logan 2nd Ward June 10, 1909. While there she was a teacher in Relief Society for seven years. Martha was also assistant chorister. She ran a boarding house after the death of James, her husband.

- End -